Monday, January 29, 2007

Boy, I played Donkalicious

My first mistake was staying out way too late and drinking the night before. I had told myself I was going to get a good night's rest - and I did not get anything close to it.

When play started for the Dead Money Open on Sunday, I seemed on edge and just not focused like I should be. Third level in, it cost me big. Up to that point, I hadn't got any big hands but was able to hold my own.

Then, at 75/150 with 2 limpers in front of me, I raised from the cutoff with Q7o to 700. The 2 players who had limped were rather weak players and I thought at the time that there was a good chance they would fold. This was the first mistake as the 2nd limper was a really weak player, but also a calling station. He was a player that would just make erratic plays as well. He calls the 550 more and we see a flop. Flop is 733 and he checks, I'm thinking this was great as I now have top pair and really there should be no way I'm beat. He calls my 1,200 bet. Turn is an Ace. Of all the cards, this is the one I was worried about the most as I could see this guy calling with Ace high on that flop. He then checked, so I again thought I had the best hand. I bet 1,200 and again he called. Thinking back, the play would normally be to push all-in for 2,750 total, but I'm not sure he folds anyways. River is a J, he checks, I check behind. He shows pocket 8's.

A couple hand laters he limp calls 150 then 950 total with ATd and turns the nut straight to beat my pair on the flop and to rub it in, I make a straight on the river.

Looking back, I should realize that the play against a guy like this is to get a premium hand and take all of his chips because he will call all of his chips (or double me up) off.

Can't say for sure, but I think that with the proper preparation before the tournament, I could have made a much better decision in this situation.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was a tuff call no matter what...He was going to call you no matter what you bet....Like you said he was a calling station who was catching cards.....Like you said the only other play was to wait for a big hand and hope he calls and doubles you up...But, one can wait all night for that to happen...Plus, you didn't look to confident while you were betting..You looked weak which might be why he called...But, I think he was going to call no matter what....

4:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home