Monday, December 04, 2006

2006 DPL Fall Championship Recap

Well, I'm starting to recover. You can't win them all, right? lol .... you can only try.

It was a great tournament, and I thought it allowed for quite a bit of play. As most of you know, I haven't played a lot of big tournaments, and therefor my scope of reference in the past was limited to tournaments in which I had played and never had accumulated chips. This tournament started out quite eerily in the fact that within the first orbit, I found myself with 7,000 in chips. Obviously still very early in the tournament, but definitely not the start I wanted. Over the next hour and a half, I was able to build my stack up to mid-teens respectable stack. One of the best hand was A9c UTG. I limped and the flop T86 - 2 clubs, I led out 900 and was called in 2 places, turn was the 2 of clubs, and I led out 1,500 and was fairly surprised when both opponents folded.

After the break, I began to build a pretty decent stack into the twenties, where I hung around for quite awhile. Eventually I started to get some good cards. I ended up with KK vs Mark Lawson who called a preflop raise, nothing hit on the flop for him and he folded to me. Towards the end of the 8th level, I went on a mini-rush. Had JJ and raised from 1,600 to 5,000 and had 2 callers. Flop hit 772 and neither called my post-flop bet. Then I called from late position a raise to 5,000 from the 2nd position. Unfortunately, we were also called by the button which complicated my planned pot steal after the flop. The flop came Q73, 2 hearts, and the raiser checked. I proceeded to bet 8,000 with my pair, and the button and the originial raiser folded (rather perturbed). (The contents of this hand have not been revealed to protect the innocent :-) ... lol) So at the 2nd break I was up to a very nice 41,500 ... which put me towards the top 10 with about 49 remaining in the tournament.

After the dinner break we came back and I had 2 hands in a row that I took down called preflop bets with a postflop bet of my own. One of the hands was KK, the other I'm drawing a blank on. I was now up to almost 70,000. I soon ran it up to just under 90,000 before things went terribly wrong. With AKs I raised from 3,000 to 12,000 and was called from the SB. Flop was JTx, and he checked. With 27K in the pot, and him only having 27K or so left, I bet 25K. Hoping he hit nothing, but even a J or T didn't have me in too bad of shape here .... unfortunately (after undue, drawn-out theatrics) he called with TT - a flopped set, and no Q came to save my ass ... I was down to 50K. From there, I couldn't stop the bleeding until consecutive, uncalled all-ins with 56h and JJ to bring me back from 24,500 to 36,500. I then had KQ and raised to 12,000 from 4,000. The BB went all-in for more than I had. I went into the tank, and looked at the clock. We were just about to go to 3,000/6,000 which meant I would have only 4x the BB if I folded .. and the blinds were only 2 hands away. I decided to call because of past events with this player, feeling he wasn't that strong and I was in decent shape. It ended up a coin flip when he showed 55. I Q on the turn and a K on the river, doubled me up to 75,000 .. where I stayed until we went to 2 tables.

Starting at 2 tables, the rush began. With an AK that 2-paired on the flop, with an 87 that 2-paired on the flop and turn, with JJ, with KQh, I proceeded to balloon my stack to 308,500 as we went to the final table. I even had AA (only time during the day) in the BB ... and had called a short stack's all-in blind ... wow ...

As we went to the final table, I won one of the very first hands with KQ. I had raised preflop and was called, and when the flop came low paired with an even lower card, I led out with 36K. After I was called, I was prepared to shut down, but the K on the turn saved me, and although there was no further action I won a very significant pot off the 2nd in chips going to the final table. I know had almost 3x as many chips as the next closest. However, after that, things shifted, through eliminations some stacks grew up, and when I raised with A8 and ran into a short stack AK, and raised with QJ and ran into a short stack A8, I was back down to around 300,000. Things stabilized for me at that point, just picking up the occasional pot as chips flew around the table. Eventually I built my stack to 400,000 after winning about 60,000 off of Cory Solberg when I caught a pair on the flop against his AK.

Coming back from a short break, we were now at 10,000/20,000 and I was UTG. KK again and I raised to 60K and Cory called from the BB. J35 flop and he pushed in, and I called. He showed QJ and with a 3 on the turn to take away 3 outs, he blanked on the river and I moved to around 600,000. On the very next hand though, the worst thing happened. The next in chips, eliminated 3rd in chips and his stack grew to about the same as mine.

After a couple of hands 3-handed, that's when the fateful QJh happened. Normally I would check-raise all-in at some point in time during the hand, but I felt my opponent would call with whatever pair, and after the Q on the turn and the 2nd K on the river ... I convinced myself I was ahead ... unfortunately. I would have still had around 400,000 had I not made the call ... about a 2-1 dog, but with 10,000/20,000 blinds ... plenty of room.

One mistake is all it takes in tournament poker, and I made it at a very bad time. We'll just have to try again :-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home