Monday, December 11, 2006

DPT Invitational

First off, congratulations to Jon Rubis for making his 2nd straight final table for the DPT. Also congratulations to Aaron Diedrich who was still playing when we left Bismarck. Jon finished 10th after a roller coaster of a 2nd day, after a day 1 that saw him run out to a nice chip lead before coasting to the end of the day with a stack about 50% above average.

Unfortunately for me, I was done on day 1 ... and this after getting out to a great start. Through the fist coupled orbits of the first round, I bled off about 1,500 in chips before I was dealt pocket 8's and was in a 5-way raised (to 200) pot preflop. The flop came out 838 and I did my best to hide my excitement. The preflop raiser bet out 1,500 and I called, and the turn he bet 3,000 and I moved all-in for 3,750 more. He eventually called with QQ and I double up to around 17,000. At the 100/200 level I made a few moves and by the end of the 200/400 level I was up to nearly 30,000. During the 300/600 level though, thing took a bad turn. I got involved in a pot that I shouldn't have and ended up with a monster draw and tried to push around a short stack. Unfortunately for me the short stack had flopped a set and didn't even think twice about calling all-in. It was a 4-way raised minimum pot to 1,200 that I called out of the blinds with 49d. The flop came down 2 diamonds Q68 and a guy bet 1,500. I called, and when the turn brought a 7, I moved in on him. He called and showed 66. No straight card, no diamond came and I was down to around 21,000. I then had QQ and smooth-called in late position a raise to 2,200. Unfortunately so did a limper, and when a flop came out 676 and he bet out I reraised and discovered he called with A6. I was soon down to 7K at the break, and coming back to the first hand of 400/800 in the BB. I proceeded through a series of hands to work back up to 11,200 in the first orbit of blinds. I was again in the blinds when 4th position, Mark Berger, DPT Player of the Year, raised to 2,800. I knew he had a big hand, I put him on AK. I looked down at 88, and just called - knowing he was coming with if I went all-in. The flop was 653, and I decided to let him continuation bet, which he did for 3,000, and I moved all-in for 8,400 total. He thought awhile and eventually called 5,400 into the 17,400 pot. An A came off on the river and my tournament was done.

Very disappointed, especially since there was a series of decisions I could have easily made that would have definitely affected the outcome of my tournament. Yes, cards are cards and some of the turns that they took were definitely bad, but I typically try to play to eliminate as much of that as possible, and my decisions didn't bear that out.

Jon on day 2 survived after slow-playing AK on a AJ9 flop (raised preflop, 1 caller), and moved all-in on the turn T. Unfortuantely the preflop caller was holding KQ, but a Q came to save him. He eventually got back to around 60K when Nick Thomas made it 14K to go from the button at 2K/4K, Jon moved all-in with AJd, and Nick called all-in (42K) with QJc, and caught clubs. Short stacked moving into the final table, he moved his stack up to 45K with KK and AJ blinds pick ups, but then ran into a limper (AA) when he had A4 in the blinds and his day was done.

Aaron Diedrich had a very up and down day. At one point he was looking to become a mostrous chip leader, but his AA got cracked by TT after the money went in after the flop. A T for Toby Croteau came off and Aaron was down to 20,000 at 1,500/3,000. He moved up to around 30,000 before the break and hung around that size for quite awhile before making a move on Tami Perry. Aaron rasied all-in with 86c, and Tami woke up in the BB with AK. The flop brought 2 8's and Aaron doubled up and moved to the final table with just under 70,000 (98 entrants - 98,000 average).

Mitch is hoping to bring the DPT back to Fargo this spring, and we will look forward to the tournament as the structure allows for absolutely true poker play.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home